Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Israel Interior Architecture

Recently my family and I went to Israel to visit the Holy Land, see archaeological digs and remains, visit Holy sites, and see where Jesus walked and the places he and others in the Bible lived worked and taught in. It was amazing. The people and culture are so different from the United States and the buildings, new and old, are designs you just don't see every day. On this post, I want to display some of the amazing ceilings, which are mostly domes, that we were able to see and experience.
This is the interior of an ancient city gate to Caesarea. Incredible stone work. 

How intricately detailed is this ceiling in Nazareth!

Much simpler wood beams, but still architecturally artistic.

It takes a lot of talent to paint this on a curved ceiling and make it look correct.

Very Rustic. Bethlehem.

Catholic Church in Bethlehem.

This ceiling probably fascinated me the most when I was standing inside looking up. Bethlehem.





I hope these last 5 pictures gave you an idea of how intricately detailed, extremely high and expansive the ceilings are in the Church of the Sepulchre in Jerusalem. 

This was inside the church at the Garden of Gethsemene. So unique and gorgeous. 

This is one of the ceilings in our hotel in Jerusalem, The David Citadel. Very modern but still in keeping with designs seen throughout the city. 

If only I had enough memory in my camera, I would have taken so many more pictures of architectural details. Hopefully this will give you a taste of some of the craftsmanship that they have in Israel. I'll be posting more pictures of other things in Israel soon! 
Check out my sister's blog for her take on the trip and her photos:

-Brittany-







No comments:

Post a Comment